Ontario Member of Parliament Chandra Arya says the Liberal Party has informed him he’s out of the running to be its next leader.
Arya, who was the first to announce his candidacy to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, says he’s waiting on official communication from the Liberals and considering his next steps.
Arya says in a statement on social media that he believes the party’s decision raises “significant questions about the legitimacy of the leadership race.”
First and foremost, I want to extend my heartfelt gratitude to the hundreds of volunteers across Canada who have worked tirelessly, day and night, over the past two weeks to mobilize support for my Liberal leadership campaign. Your unwavering dedication inspires me.
I am deeply… https://t.co/EnR1u9ZFAt pic.twitter.com/F4Fk5sjDSl— Chandra Arya (@AryaCanada) January 26, 2025
Liberal representatives did not immediately respond to questions about Arya’s candidacy.
He was one of seven people who submitted paperwork and a $50,000 deposit last week to enter the race.
The Liberals are set to choose the party’s next leader, and the next prime minister, on March 9.