Ontario teachers and education workers will start the school year without a contract, but say they aren’t going to “jump” into job action.
Although there had been hopes of reaching collective agreements by the time all expire at the end of this month, bargaining has essentially paused for most education unions because of labour board complaints they launched over concerns that the province wants to centralize a number of issues — which could take months to resolve.
“I think we would do these things one step at a time,” David Mastin, president of the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, said following his opening speech at the union’s annual meeting in Toronto, flanked by leaders from seven other education unions.
“We’re not going to jump to the final point and say ‘this is where we’re going to end up,’ ” he said when asked about the possibility of a strike given the early tensions.
While none have been scheduled as yet, “we’re hoping that if we do engage in the strike vote process, that process does pressure the government to show our members are serious.”
In a statement to the Star, Education Minister Paul Calandra said that “at this early stage of bargaining, the first step is to determine what issues will be negotiated at central or local tables. Those decisions are still underway, with some unions choosing to bring this matter to the Ontario Labour Relations Board.”
He added that “we respect their decision to do so and at all times are ready to continue discussions on the scope of central versus local issues before proceeding to the next stage of negotiations.”
A recent memo to members of the elementary teachers’ union, which represents teachers and early childhood educators, said the province and the Council of Directors of Education — which is at the bargaining table alongside the government under recent legislative changes — want to move salary grid progression to central talks as well as short-term paid and unpaid time off, workday events (such as staff meetings), scheduling/student supervision, time provided for report card and other professional duties, and contracting out.
The memo, obtained by the Star, says a decision from the labour board “may take several weeks or months. At this point, bargaining is paused … until we receive a decision.”
The Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association, however, still has negotiations scheduled this week and next.
Mastin told his members that the government also plans to target teachers over sick days rather than deal with the real issues schools and educators face.
“We are working and dealing with a government that has eliminated so many of the supports that our students and our members and our workers rely on,” he said.
Mastin also slammed the Ford government, which, in its third majority, “holds the legislative power, but they are increasingly out of touch,” and is faltering in the polls.
The unions had asked to start bargaining early back in March, but Calandra had said that issues could be resolved in the usual timeline with bargaining beginning in June.
The elementary teachers’ union is now sending out millions of postcards to Ontarians “explaining our bargaining goals,” Mastin also said, which include smaller class sizes, more classroom supports — especially for special education students.
The union representing education workers will be holding rallies across the province on Aug. 29, said Joe Tigani, president of CUPE’s 57,000-member school board bargaining unit.
A province-wide show of solidarity is also planned for Sept. 23.
Martha Hradowy, president of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation, said “We have to get over the procedural hurdles. But I will say to Minister Calandra and Premier Ford: If you want peace and stability, if you want a public education system where every child can succeed, then let us bargain. Let us bargain and get to the real issues affecting our schools.”
”