HALIFAX – The union in Nova Scotia representing about 3,500 striking long-term care workers has rejected the provincial government’s claim that union negotiators refused to return to the bargaining table on the weekend.
Unionized workers at 35 long-term care facilities, members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, have been on strike for six weeks. Their collective agreements expired in October 2023. Pay is the main issue in the labour dispute.
On Saturday night, Seniors Minister Barbara Adams released an open letter saying the government had asked the union to resume negotiations Friday, Saturday or Sunday, but she said the union decided to wait until next week.
“CUPE leadership’s decision not to put the current offer to a membership vote has become a major obstacle to resolution,” Adams said in a statement.
But the union fired back on Sunday, saying it had been in talks with the government about returning to the table last week, which included the possibility of meeting over the weekend.
“The claim that CUPE is unwilling to return to the table is completely false,” the union said in an emailed statement. “When (the minister’s) letter was posted, we were waiting on confirmation that all parties were available Monday afternoon.”
As well, the union argued that members of the bargaining committee live and work across Nova Scotia, which means it takes time to bring both sides together.
“We remain committed to resuming talks at the bargaining table, as soon as possible,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the government released details of a contract offer that it says was presented to the union May 7.
The offer includes: wage increases between 12 and 24 per cent over four years; retroactive pay to 2023; increased evening and weekend premiums; access to a defined benefit pension; an additional $2 per hour beginning in 2027 for those earning less than $23 an hour; and an additional 1.5 per cent increase for all workers next year.
“These improvements were made in direct response to concerns raised by front-line workers, particularly workers in lower wage classifications,” Adams said, adding that 27,500 public sector workers have already endorsed similar agreements.
“It is concerning that CUPE accepted similar agreements in other sectors, yet long-term care workers remain on strike without having the opportunity to vote on the current offer.”
On May 9, a spokesperson for CUPE said the government had come back to the table with virtually same deal it had put forward four times before. Taylor Johnston said the only adjustments were adding the 1.5 per cent raise and the $2 hourly increase for those who make less than $23 an hour.
Johnston said the $2 raise would bring the lowest-paid workers up to $23.57 an hour by the end of the proposed agreement, which she said was below the lowest estimated living wage in the province.
Relatives of long-term care residents have said the strike has meant fewer baths, more falls and dietary adjustments for their loved ones.
Essential services are being maintained, but many physiotherapists, occupational therapists and recreational therapists have not been reporting to work since the strike began on April 13. Other striking workers include nurses, continuing-care assistants and housekeeping staff.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 24, 2026.